Thursday, 21 July 2011

Adam Roberts, Anticopernicus (2011)


Adam Roberts, Anticopernicus (2011). 0.86p. Available for Kindle download on Amazon.

Update: also available for download in EPUB format from Wizard Tower books (same price). While you're there, you may want to check out their other many excellent books.

I feel a bit sheepish about temporarily hijacking this blog to advertise one of my own books; but here we are -- a new venture for me, self ePublishing. This is what 'they' call a 'Dwarf Novel': four chapters, c.15,000 words, eighty-six pence, never before published, and not to be made available in any other way. I'd be very grateful if you bought a copy. No, I don't know who 'they' are.

What's it about? I'm glad you asked.
First contact: despite our cosmic littleness, the aliens have come to visit. But they have parked their interstellar craft on the outskirts of the solar system, and despite friendly interaction (their English is fluent and idiomatic) they will come no closer. So an Earth ship, the "Leibniz", crewed by the best and the brightest, begins the slow haul towards the Oort cloud, in the hopes that meeting these alien creatures will answer the most profound questions humanity can ask. Anticopernicus is not their story, though. It is instead the story of Ange Mlinko, an ordinary pilot working the Earth-Mars trade routes, largely uninterested in the arrival of alien intelligences. And because the focus is on her, it remains to be seen whether this short novel can answer the following questions: why have the aliens come? Why won't they come any closer than the furthest edges of the solar system? What does this have to do with the nature of the mysterious ‘dark energy’ pervading the cosmos? What about the celebrated Fermi Paradox? And most pressingly: could Copernicus have been wrong all along?
One final note: the splendid cover art you can see there was done by the very talented Bruce Asher. If you're looking for cover- or poster-art for any reason, I recommend him: he works quickly, to a high standard, and his rates are very reasonable.

Normal service on this blog will be resumed as soon as possible. The owl-with-his-eyes-shut in the top right of the main page, there, is ashamed of me.

20 comments:

Mike said...

I hope the Kindle transmission reaches me in the Oort cloud (it's where I do my computing).

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam Roberts said...

I was going to say: 'the Oort Cloud is the Australia of the Solar System.' But then I thought about it, and had to concede that, no, the Sun is the Australia of the Solar System. The Oort Cloud is clearly the Britain of the Solar System.

Alexander said...

Any chances of it being available in other formats? EPUB? I guess it wouldn't be too much of a headache to convert it, but still. Congrats on the new venture! Hope it's a big hit, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed :)

Boris Legradic said...

I enjoy your reviews, so I am giving it a try - will you post how successful the self-publishing experiment was?

Boris Legradic said...

Ahem - second comment because I forgot to tick the email follow-up posts box.

Adam Roberts said...

Alexander: I'm looking into EPUB now. Which is to say; I've converted it to EPUB, now I just need to find a vendor happy to sell it for me in that format.

Boris: thanks! Hope you enjoy it. I will post about how it all went, when enough time has passed to make that plain to me.

donny said...

I have been reading your posts with great relish over the years, and would have been happy to buy a copy as a show of support (in addition to the others of yours that I get, that is :)), if it weren't for the fact that Amazon doesn't do ebook business in my country. Would be great if you could put it on somewhere like Fictionwise, perhaps?

Also would be very happy to hear your thoughts on self-publishing in general, and whether it needs a push from someone of your acknowledged stature to move it from its somewhat poor reputation in terms of quality.

Miles said...

I found this a pretty enjoyable story! Is there a way you can get it listed at GoodReads so I can passively help market it to my friends?

Miles said...

Er, I retract my previous comment. When I searched for it last night it didn't come up, but now it does! Passive marketing away.

Adam Roberts said...

Donny: thanks for the kind words. Not sure where your country is, but Anticopernicus will soon be available for purchase as an EPUB title from Wizard's Tower -- I'll link when it's up. Don't know if that's any good.

Miles: thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Rich Puchalsky said...

Well, time to see whether the local library has a Kindle, I guess.

donny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
donny said...

Adam, I got it off Wizard's Tower already, thanks for putting it up. Was in danger of getting a lot more books - found more than several items of interest. :)

Looking forward to it, thanks.

(Also, I'm from Malaysia)

Mike Taylor said...

I bought it, in part because 86p is below the Well Why Not? threshhold. Good pricing, I think -- I hope you do well out of it. How much of that do Amazon keep?

Mike Taylor said...

*sigh* Second comment so that I get notifications of followups. Stupid Wordpress doesn't offer the relevant checkbox on the comment submission form unless you're already logged in.

Mike said...

Stupid Blogger actually. It's a newish bug but you may as well fly to Oort cloud as tell Google they've got something wrong.

Mike said...

Sigh. Google changed all their interface for that login to Swedish because I'm in that country despite all my browser and account settings being in English. They will never understand how wrong they can be...

Opal said...

I hope more of your work becomes available on Kindle.

My review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/196244199. Lots of interesting seeds of ideas for future development.

I found several typos. Would you like their locations? My notes are sync'd on Amazon, not sure you can see them although they are public.

Mike Taylor said...

Well, I read it. Lots to like, and the key revelation was, as it ought to have been, a real shift of perspective. Great moment. But the whole thing felt a little slight at the price. Just saying. A pair of similar-length stories at that price would have felt about right, maybe.