Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Graham Joyce, The Silent Land (2010)


Graham is a friend of mine, so I can't pretend this is a wholly disinterested review; but were this short novel written by my worst enemy I'd have to concede how perfectly judged, in terms of tone and mood, it is. Young lovers Zoe and Jake are on a skiing holiday in the Alps when they are caught in an avalanche; they survive, but returning to the resort they find it eerily empty, not a soul about. It's not really a spoiler (because the reader twigs this early in the reading) that they've stumbled into a ghost story -- that this novel is more The Others than Ski Sunday -- except that one of the beautiful touches of The Silent Land is the slow-burning realisation the book cultivates that it's not about death, but life ('Zoe', the name of the main character, means life, of course). The back of my ARC notes that the film rights have already been sold, and if the film-makers can reproduce the beautifully judged, uncanny chill of this atmospheric novel, it will be a very notable film indeed.

5 comments:

Martin said...

"More The Others than Ski Sunday" - I'm sure Gollancz will be slapping that on the cover of the paperback edition.

Adam Roberts said...

As a description of the novel, I find it to be unarguable.

Christine said...

agreed!

Extreme News said...

Hrmm that was weird, my comment got eaten. Anyway I wanted to say that it's nice to know that someone else also mentioned this as I had trouble finding the same info elsewhere. This was the first place that told me the answer. Thanks. chinese new year 2012 Thailand travel new year 2012 Bandar Bola

Extreme News said...

Thank you for sharing to us.there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post.I would like to join your blog anyway so please continue sharing with us. Australia Public Holidays 2012 Calendar Calendar 2012 Singapore Public Holidays 2012 Calendar Thanksgiving 2011