Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Lion Annual (1958)


More Lion loveliness. This cover illustrates the story 'Prisoners of Space Outlaws'. That I-don't-believe-it-would-be-able-to-walk-in-real-life 'Giant Walking Machine' belongs to the evil outlaws; but here's what happens to them:

A little wonkily scanned, I'm sorry to say; but, see! (click for larger view) See those excellent propellerhead helmets the good guys are wearing. Wouldn't those crack troops just spin round and round in midair if they wore those? Ah, who cares? Boo to cowardly 'Spartza'! His dream of world conquest turned into a nightmare -- guess he reckoned without Captain Condor! "All right, Condor! I know when I'm beaten! You win. Don't shoot. I'll tell you anything you want to know, and afterwards I promise to give up crime altogether and instead join the Stone Roses as frontman."

8 comments:

Al R said...

Once, during a hospital stay (I would have been five or six) I remember reading a comic or annual with a story about giant red elephant-shaped walking machines in it....

Adam Roberts said...

They clearly ripped off Lion. Somebody should sue. And then both publications should sue George Lucas.

Ben said...

Clearly the helmets have counter-rotating propellers, only they whiz so fast you can't see them as a pair.

Presumably there is an atmosphere, or the props wouldn't work, but not a breathable one, or the helmets would not be required ...

Mark Pontin said...

Extraordinary that someone could get away with publishing such truly abominable art as SF comics illustration at the same time as the Frank Hampson studio was doing stuff like this --
http://www.frankhampson.co.uk/image2.php?choice=eagle8_47_1
http://www.dan-dare.org/DareShow3.htm

and Ron Turner stuff like this --
http://www.paulgravett.com/articles/pgtips_22/rick_random_pg.jpg
http://www.bookpalace.com/UKComics/RonTurner/PAGES/TurnerRickRandom.htm

David Moles said...

Okay, I want to know what the original planet names were, that were taped over in that second Dan Dare.

Al R said...

Hi Adam

No - in case it wasn't clearer - I'm fairly convinced it must have been this Lion annual which I saw, which would not have been much more than a dozen or so years old at the time. (Assuming, of course, that the villains of that story didn't turn up in other Lion annuals, which is a possibility). It's rather fantastic to see it, actually...confirmation that one of those extremely vague childhood memories was in fact based on something tangible. Where did you find it?

Adam Roberts said...

I found it in a junkstore book selection for 50p. I hope you'll allow me to gift it you ... email me your address and I'll post it across.

Al R said...

email sent, Adam!

best,

Al