Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Dionisio D. Martínez, 'The Prodigal Son' (1996)


In a second-hand shop I chanced upon an issue of the journal Verse (13:1 1996) edited by Charles Simic (after whom I named a character in one of my novels, so highly do I esteem him as a poet) given over to the subject of 'prose poems'. This is an interesting topic, I think; and there's a lot in this pleasantly dark purple journal-book. But my purpose here today is only to reproduce this short piece by Cuban-born poet Dionisio D. Martínez. I do so as part of a gadfly project to identify science fiction by people not in Clute and Nicholls (Clute, Nicholls and Langford as it will soon become, in a 3rd edition livery). Nice, eh?

1 comment:

Teemu Manninen said...

As a long-time reader of this excellent blog I just wanted to chime in with a side-note: there's a growing "movement" of Finnish science-fiction poetry at the moment with at least four or five poets (depending on how much surrealism one allows into the generic mixture) publishing narratively driven books in that vein. Not that anyone will notice, since they most probably won't be translated. :)