Friday, 12 February 2010

Adam Roberts

Complimentary copies of the the first batch of the new Gollancz Masterworks editions came through my door today, with introductions by Graham Sleight, Gwyneth Jones and myself; and they are very lovely pieces of book production. The back covers in particular caught my self-reflexive eye. Not all photographical images of my phizog are flattering; and not all are accurate; but these are splendid. Here's a detail from the back cover of the new edition of Gene Wolfe's magisterial Fifth Head of Cerberus:I think that captures pretty well the fact that I am (why deny it?) a good-looking woman. You can see the same thing on the back cover of Delany's brilliant Babel-17, even though here I'm wearing a viking helmet:And the helmet I'm wearing on the back of Haldeman's razor-sharp Forever War is even more constricting:But the image that surprised me the most is the one on the back of Zelazny's extraordinary Lord of Light:That's me in in the middle of one of my outdoor power-showers. Startled to see it on the back of a mass-market paperback, to be honest.

4 comments:

rreugen said...

The simple fact that an artist with your range is wasting time with writing instead of Intergallactic Entertainment is mind-boggling.

As far as we understand the artistic statement of your on-going work is that true rational critique thinking is unaffected by gender, race, species, head-gear and super-powers. We're not saying that this is all you're after, but we're reserving further judgement until we see more of your work.

Jeffrey J. Cohen said...

I used to admire you. Now, having witnessed your prometheus-like powers, I am in awe.

N. R. Alexander said...

You sure do get about. I hope you didn't forget your headgear for that power-shower, wouldn't want your luscious locks to suffer the ill effects of too much molten gold.

Mihai (Dark Wolf) said...

Wait, you say that you are not a woman?