Friday, 6 November 2009

Zemeckis, Christmas Carol (2009)


I can't help but feel that I have a particularly close relationship to Dickens's Christmas Carol. I have, like millions of people, read it many times; and like millions of people I love it. Like many more (not millions, perhaps, but many) I have studied it, and like a slightly more select group, I have taught it and written criticism about it. Less typically, I have even rewritten it. Now I'm not saying that this gives me anything after the manner of proprietorial interest in the title. But I feel I have the same right as any fan to say that the last thing I want to see -- really -- is a film version containing a scene in which Jim Carrey's plasticated Scrooge simultaneously humps and fellates a gigantic chess-pawn with an expression of blissed out ecstasy upon his face.

4 comments:

Ian Sales said...

Not to mention that A Christmas Carol was published in late 1843, and the current Westminster Palace didn't exist then.

Gareth Rees said...

The rebuilding started in 1840, and the clock tower was finished in 1859, so this isn't an outrageous anachronism.

Adam Roberts said...

Yes. Yes, the scaffolding in the background is the real point of my post. Yes.

Ian Sales said...

You are a science fiction writer and critic and you object to rocket-propelled phallic symbols? OTOH, historical anachronisms in sf are simply not allowed...